THE Federal Government has confirmed that Boko Haram terrorists did not released the whole 110 schoolgirls it abducted on February 19.
The government said it has so far confirmed that 76 has been released while 34 are still held hostage.
This was made known by the Minister of Information, Lai Mohammed.
Mohammed in a statement said President Muhammadu Buhari directives to all security agencies to do everything possible to secure the release of the girls had “yielded fruits”.
He also noted that the release of the remaining abducted students was “ongoing”.
He said the girls were released around 3 a.m. through “back-channel efforts” and with the help of some friends of the country, and that it was unconditional.
”For the release to work, the government had a clear understanding that violence and confrontation would not be the way out as it could endanger the lives of the girls, hence a non-violent approach was the preferred option.
”Within the period when the girls were being brought back, operational pause was observed in certain areas to ensure free passage and also that lives were not lost,” Mr. Mohammed said.
He said the number of the freed girls would be updated after the remaining ones have been documented, “especially because the girls were not handed over to anyone but dropped off in Dapchi.”