Attempt To Evict Ex-NIA DG, Dauda From Home Turns Residence To Armed Face-off Zone


AN attempt to evict the immediate past Acting Director General of the National Intelligence Agency (NIA), Ambassador Mohammed Dauda, from his residence has turned his home to a zone of armed face-off by three security forces.

Trouble started late Monday evening when the State Security Service (SSS) and the National Intelligence Agency (NIA) stormed the residence of the former NIA boss in an attempt to forcefully evict the former NIA boss from his official residence, News Express reports.

The SSS and the NIA meet firm resistance from armed men guiding the residence resulting in an armed face-off between the trio.

The siege is believed to be a fallout of an ongoing investigations by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the House of Representatives over alleged attempts to siphon $44 million from the coffers of the NIA allegedly by the trio of Ambassador Babagana Kingibe; the Chief of Staff to President Muhammadu Buhari, Abba Kyari; and the incumbent NIA DG, Abubakar Rufai Ahmed.

ALSO READ:  10 Days After Vacation, Buhari Fails To Return To Nigeria

Ambassador Dauda had in a memo to the EFCC and the House of Representatives Committee on National Safety and Intelligence indicted the three aides of the president over sundry corrupt tendencies.

The memo seemed to have angered Kingibe who it was reported threatened to deal with the ex-NIA boss, which may have given rise to the invasion on Dauda’s residence.

Dauda was said to have earlier in the day left the house to an unknown destination, shortly before the arrival of the combined operatives while his domestic staffs were still being held hostages in the blockade which started on Monday and is still in progress as at press time.

ALSO READ:  Police Arrest, Detain Journalist Over Failure To Disclose Source Of Story

The building located at No 3, Osaro Lane, off Osaro Close, Maitama in Abuja attracted onlookers and news men when the drama began but they were chased away by the operatives of the SSS and NIA.

The comments of the SSS on the siege was not available as at press time because it has no known spokesperson since September 2016 when Marilyn Ogar left the service while Kingibe, Kyari and Dauda were not reachable for their reaction.